If you're planning to attend glamourous parties this holiday you better get ready to out shine that Christmas tree... (literally) as this season's biggest trend is sequin. There's the sequin dress for the bold, and the sequin blazer and mini skirt for those who are interested in dressing the sparkle down for everyday wear.
|Day Birger et Mikkelsen sequin dress in creme|
|Black sequin blazer|
|Sequin blazer in brown|
|Haute Hippie sequin mini skirt|
|gold sequin mini|
Now, let me just say one thing before we go any further. There are a lot of things in the sequin category and a lot of them are heinous. Stores like Limité, Le Chateau, and Ardene have been showing sequins since the dawn of time. They have no idea what they are doing. So, if you find yourself being drawn to the glittery storefront like a moth to a flame, snap out of it and run the other way because you will be burnt. badly. by people like me.
Also, there is a difference between sequins and glitter. Somehow people are unaware of this (*rolls eyes*). Sequins are beads (3D). Glitter is flat and looks like grains of sparkly salt.
There are rules to wearing sequins so please follow them. It hurts to see people make a fool of themselves in tacky sparkly dresses. One can't help but stare...
the three styles to wear this season:
1. the dress (long or short sheath, shift, one-shoulder)
2. the skirt (mini)
3. the jacket (blazer, tux)
three best colours: black, gold, cream
others: red, silver, blue (be careful though...)
1 - Remember what dresses are actually IN STYLE before blindly purchasing one. This season is about shifts and long form-fitting sheaths. One-shoulder dresses and cut-out dresses are also popular but I don' know how long they'll be in style. One-shouldered clothing so in and out of style almost every season. If you can find one, tailed dresses are NEXT LEVEL. The only one I managed to find was on Nastygal sometime in October. It's gone now ... and I'm a little depressed.
|Vince gold shift sequin dress|
|River Island maxi sheath in gold|
|Black sequin sheath|
|Full length sequin dress in black|
|TRNC sequin dress|
2. If you are not the fittest of people, please do not wear a sequin dress. I have nothing against natural bodies (they are beautiful and natural and should stay that way. Being skinny is getting old anyway) it is just that sequin dresses are more often than not super tight, clingy, and bulky. If you are not lean, the dress will only clingy to your core flaws and ride up your bum. Also, the bulkiness of the millions of little disk-shaped beads makes anyone look a size bigger then they actually are. Not exactly flattering.
3. Sequin shoes make me want to kill myself. Flats especially. Aldo and Steve Madden are showing sequin detailed heels that are beyond tacky. You're not 6-years-old anymore, and you're most definitely not Dorothy from the Wizard of Oz so please leave the fish scale-esque footwear to those who are. With that said, I do love Jeffrey Campbell... so I do have a soft-spot for his sequin booties. BUT THOSE ARE MY ONLY EXCEPTION. Keep in mind the difference between sequins and glitter. Glitter heels are acceptable.
|Jeffrey Campbell Lana boots in silver sequin|
4. If you're going for the sequin jacket do not buy a cropped one. They are hideous. Also, be smart and get yourself a black one in a tux cut. The androgynous suit jackets are really important, not only this season but for spring as well.
|Zara sequin blazer in black|
|Asos sequin sleeved blazer|
5. If you have to pair something with your sequin item of clothing make it something black. The eye-catching sparkle is stand-outish enough. Do not blind people by decking yourself out in a head-to-toe sequins ensemble. Thanks