4.07.2012

The ShOws - Ruffian F/W 2012 for Dress To Kill

A few days after Fashion Week was over and done with, I got a call from my editor at Dress To KILL magazine. I thought my runway adventures were over (for this season at least) but NO! He wanted me to go to a secrete/super exclusive/only-for-the-fashion-elite runway show at the super glamourous Ritz Carlton Hotel.

Ruffian runway at The ShOws
photo: Elayne
"Elayne, can you make it to The ShOws tonight and review the Ruffian show.?"

My answer was an automatic YES! But I had no idea what The ShOws were... First thing that came to mind was - umm Mr. Bossman you need to be more weary of the use of capital letters, I believe it's spelt shows not ShOws. Shows how much I know (not a member of the elite squad I guess, Pffffff AM NOW! HA)... Anyway, once I googled it and found out that The ShOws were basically the cooler and more exclusive version of the normal Toronto Fashion Week, where designers like Jeremy Lang, David Szeto, Jean-Pierre Braganza - who are way to posh to show their lines during the scheduled Fashion Week with all those other Canadian designers - sent their F/W lines down the runway.

When I walked into the lobby of the Ritz Carlton Toronto, I got a glimpse of what it was like to be a rich Toronto businessperson. There were at least 25 suited-up, good-looking, 30 somethings laughing and drinking at the bar (it was like 6 pm on a thursday. Never too early to get your drink on). I followed the crowd of familiar Fashion Week faces up the shiny marble stairs to the lobby of the ballroom where the Ruffian show was to take place. The best thing about the whole experience : ALL THE FREE STUFF! As soon as I signed in, I was handed a little bag filled with lipsticks, shampoo samples, perfume samples, candies, etc. It was greaaat! They also had a huge table of coffee and tea options. (SO much more fun than Fashion Week).

After maybe 3 free coffees and 75 Jolly Ranchers, the ballroom doors opened and I was ushered into the runway room. As I wander around looking for my assigned seat, I was stopped by Lolitta Dandoy of Clin d'oeil magazine. She liked what I was wearing and took this somewhat unfortunate photo of me for one of her street style posts.


Ask me what I'm doing with my face. My answer: I wish I knew. It looks like I'm about to sneeze. At least my outfit looks cute...

The Ruffian show was fun. I sat next to, and made friends with, Mary Kitchen of CityTV. Nbd. The line was super Downton Abbey/British countryside. Real cute. For more info on the actual collection, read my article for Dress To KILL mag.

photo: Elayne
photo: Elayne
photo: Elayne
photo: Elayne
photo: Elayne
photo: Elayne

No comments:

Post a Comment